Erythrodermic psoriasis is the rare but the most dangerous form of psoriasis that mostly affect the entire body of the patient. It is an uncommon form of psoriasis, which occur only once in a lifespan of 3% people worldwide. It mainly appears on that individual who have plaque psoriasis (unstable). It’s mean that the wounds are not clearly visible or defined. This form is characterized by the redness and widespread of scales over the skin.
Furthermore, severe pain and itching also accompany it.
Erythrodermic Psoriasis Causes
The main causes of this form of psoriasis are:
- Low calcium
- Severe sunburn
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- Withdrawal of prednisone (Oral corticosteroids)
- Active coal tar preparations
- Withdrawal of potent topical corticosteroids.
- Medications include (lithium, interleukin II)
- Drug-induced rash, allergic that produces on the Koebner phenomenon (an inclination of psoriasis to come out of the position of skin injuries).
Complications of Erythrodermic psoriasis:
It usually occurs in the period of known worsening and unstable psoriasis, but however, it may somehow be the first presentation or introduction of psoriasis. Usually the attack of this from occurs over a week or a couple of days, or gradually acquire over several months from pre-existing psoriasis.
The main features of all the type of psoriasis are almost the same which include the redness of the skin over the entire body or infected area.
The complications are:
- Heart failure
- Swelling particularly in joints and low legs
- Loss of protein and malnutrition
- Loss of iron, folate vitamin B12 ( which we call Anemia)
Erythrodermic Psoriasis Symptoms
The common symptoms which are associated with this form of psoriasis are:
- The red and shiny scaly skin with dermatologic characteristics of psoriasis.
- The body covers with light and flaky silvery shells.
- Severe itching and pain are the most common symptoms.
- The patient of Erythrodermic psoriasis is systematically unwell.
- Chills and high fever.
- Swollen ankles
- And rapid heartbeat is a few symptoms.
There are a few other causes of Erythrodermic which uniquely identify for the usual reasons. These are:
- Drug eruption (Gold, sulfonylureas, phenytoin)
- Pityriasis Rubra pillars
- Ichthyosiform erythroderma
Erythrodermic Psoriasis Treatments
The treatment of Erythrodermic psoriasis firstly includes a very low or medium potency medication in the initial stage. Along with that Wet dressings, complete bed rest and oatmeal bath. However, the patient also recommends using antibiotics.
Some other treatments are:
Systematic medication: This type of drugs is given under severe conditions. These medicines include methotrexate and acitretin. However, the sudden abruption of medication can be the reason of flare psoriasis.
TNF-alpha is blocking biologics which include Humira (adalimumab), Enbrel (etanercept) and Simponi which aim a T-cell in the body which is the type of immune cell. These cells cause the inflammation and increase the chances of severe psoriasis. These are the effective medications that can be helpful in the treatment of psoriasis.
Combinational treatments: it includes the combination of topical products and systemic medications. However, it is not recommended to have UVB (Ultraviolet light (B)) and PUVA treatment until the severe redness of the infected area has fallen or goes down.
Furthermore, the pain medicines also prescribed to the patient when psoriasis become more dangerous because this is a condition in which pain become unbearable. The itching and sleeping medications also prescribed if needed.