Having psoriasis is a painful condition and as it multiplies spreading fast, it is very important to follow your doctor’s advice. Controlling and preventing flare-ups are one the best ways to prevent psoriasis from spreading.
Tips to Prevent From Spreading
Use moisturizing lotions. In dry skin, the symptoms become worse, so ensure to keep it moist using lotions and creams. Use petroleum jelly, they are thick and good at moisture trapping. To remove scales, apply cream and cover it with plastic wrap for few hours, it helps.
Utmost Skin Care:
- Neverpick the scales or patches.
- Trimnails with caution as if you cut, symptoms may flare.
- For scalp, rub tar shampoos and sue soothing bathing products.
- Avoidcold, dry weather, use humidifier.
- Avoid medications resulting in flare-ups such as lithium, beta-blockers given for heart conditions, and Quinidine medications.
- In case you are using any, ask for substitutes to your doctor.
- Avoid acupuncture or tattoos. Also be extra careful while shaving and do your best in preventing chafing and insect bites.
- Never stay in sun for more than 20 minutes. Apply sunscreen so that psoriasis is not triggered.
Get out of stress. This flares up the psoriasis.
- Tryto stay calm by involving in relaxation techniques such as yoga or meditation. It will relieve your anxiety.
- Alcohol worsens symptoms and is also dangerous when taken with psoriasis drugs.
- Eat right, exercise and maintain healthy weight. There is no connection between psoriasis and diet, but eating a balanced diet with vegetables and fruits help in preventing flares.
Please use the following infographics for foods recommendation:
Details Helping in Preventing Psoriasis
Eat few foods that are protein-rich, basically dairy products and meats that may alleviate the flares. Switch to low protein diet. Being a vegetarian has great advantage. Take legumes, grains, vegetables and fruits that are packed with fiber.
If you have to cut back on meats, stop anything not fish. Specifically take herring, mackerel and salmon, the cold-water species. These contain omega-3 fatty acids in abundance and its anti-inflammatory properties ease psoriasis flare-up. Supplements of fish oil in pills also helps, so take daily four to six capsules.
Heal with beta-carotene
For a healthy skin, vitamin A is essential, but may have serious side effects if taken in large doses.
Also Check: Psoriasis Treatment with Coconut Oil
Discuss your experience of psoriasis with people who know that you go through and find ways to ease distress. Getting social support helps and promotes self-confidence.