We know that psoriasis is a condition in which the patient’s skin cells develop quickly or faster than usual. These large cells create the lesions on the skin, called a flare. It is estimated that almost 30% of the people worldwide with psoriasis also get psoriatic joint inflammation, which we also called psoriatic arthritis (PsA). This is the condition in which psoriasis attacks the patient’s healthy joints and causes severe inflammation.
If the proper treatment is not taken, then this inflammation can damage your joints permanently. However, certain time patient gets the symptoms of psoriasis first before having psoriatic arthritis (PsA). It usually comes on between the age of 30- 50, but it can also be started in the childhood. It is common for both men and women, but mostly in the people who have skin disease already but not true for all.
Psoriatic Arthritis Causes:
Psoriatic joint inflammation causes to do the particular reasons which include:
- The Abnormal response of the human body immune system is the main cause of psoriasis. However, this is the condition in which immune system starts to response unusual, which may result in the patchy red skin known as plaques. Other than this is the swelling around the joints and severe pain.
- The other factors are environmental and genetic problems which play a significant role in the development of joint inflammation.
- It also develops in those people who are allergic; the infection triggers the immune system and active the development of arthritic psoriasis.
Psoriatic Arthritis Symptoms
The main symptoms of psoriatic joint inflammation include the following:
- Swelling: The joint swelling mostly occurs arthritis psoriatic. However, it is unique in its nature, or we can say that different from other types of psoriasis. It mostly occurs in the fingers and the toes.
- The pain usually notices as a “Sausage-like Swelling” in the toes and the fingers and mostly around the joints.
- Pain in the back: The most common symptom of arthritis psoriatic is the severe pain in the back. The condition called spondylitis may also occur with PSA, which leads to the inflammation in the two most critical areas of the body: Between the pelvis and spine.
- Nails problem: PSA also causes the changes in the nails like in shape and color. The problem includes the pitting over the nails. One can easily feel the separation between the nails, and nail bed in arthritis psoriatic.
- Feet pain: PSA mostly causes the pain in foot and tendons which are attached to the muscles.
- Fatigue: The patients suffering from PsA feel tired and lazy due to the inflammation and severe pain caused by the immune disorder.
- Reduce movement and energy: The stiffness in the joint decrease the movement of the person because of swelling in the tendons and joints.
- Patchy red skin: The patchy red skin is the most prominent symptom of psoriatic arthritis. Almost 70-80% people face the skin problems because of psoriasis.
- Eye pain: The feel of pain in the eyes is the other main symptom of arthritis psoriasis.
- Anemia: Anemia is the condition in which red blood cells are less than the average, which causes the problem in the functional performance of the body.
- Shortness of breath: The patient who is suffering from this type of psoriasis suffers from the shortness of breath.
Types Psoriatic Arthritis:
- Symmetric Arthritis: It affects the joints in pairs like either elbows or even both knees. However, psoriatic can be mild or even can be severe. The cruel side of psoriatic arthritis is that it damage your joints for whole life. The symptoms of this type are same as like rheumatoid arthritis.
- Asymmetric Arthritis: This type of psoriasis affects only the fewer joints of the body. The effects of this kind mostly appear on the fingers and toes in the form of swelling.
- Distal Interphalangeal Predominant (DIP): This type of psoriasis mainly affects the end joints of fingers and toes not even this but also nails. Many time patients confused with osteoarthritis when people hear about arthritis when the bone and cartilage in the joints wear off.
- Spondylitis: It mainly affects the backbone of the patient. It can, however, cause stiffness and inflammation between the bone of neck, lower back, and even in spine and pelvis. It also attacks the ligaments that connect the muscles to the bones and other connective tissues as well.
- Arthritis Mutilans: The most severe and disastrous form of psoriatic arthritis is arthritis mutilations. But fortunately, it is rare among all. It mainly affects the small joints of toes and fingers badly.
Consult to doctor:
It is crucial to discuss with your doctor as mostly all types or arthritis seems similar. However, the symptoms and medical history can help you out to get the right treatment and medication. Furthermore, blood tests also contribute to finding out right arthritis psoriatic. Diagnosis will contribute to preventing the permanent damage of joints.
Psoriatic Arthritis Medication:
However, psoriatic arthritis is treated by controlling the inflammation. The game depends upon what is the severity and what works for the patient in a right way.
The medication includes a:
- Enzyme inhibitor
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)
- Biologic drug
- Disease- Modifying antirheumatic drug (DMARD)
- The primary medication includes exercise which is useful for the patients which help them in protecting their joints by making the muscles strong around their bones. However, slow-motion can be helpful in lessening the pain and boost your willpower. Physical motion and activities help to become relax, free of stress and sleep better.
Other things which can be proven helpful are:
- Heat and cold therapy
- Assistive devices
- Hands-on therapies including massage, acupressure, and acupuncture.
- However, it’s hard to handle this situation but recently newly introduce methods and medications can control this condition in a better way and it goes into absolution, which means that patient have no symptoms.